Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nursing continued...



This was Lutfi from Bethany- a sweet and gentle man. I commented on how good his english was- and he finally wispered to me, "I am secretly a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. I speak english with my brothers in Christ in a prayer room every week. This is how I become so good in english. Are you Christian? Oh I love my Jesus. Hallelujah!" We then had a bond tightly knit in the Savior. I was only able to tell him that I was Christian too and from then on he called me "his sister in Christ." I loved that and felt very much that he was my brother. I invited him to our Christmas concert and he enthusiastically asked, "Are they songs about our Lord?!!!" I confirmed, and he responded that he wouldn't miss it for anything!!


This is Muhammed- one of my favorite dialysis patients. He was 20 and a very sociable young man, but again, he spoke about as much english as I did arabic. By the end, we had nearly perfected the art of cherades and were very good friends. I also invited him to our Christmas concert... and after a while... once we worked out what I was saying... he eagerly agreed to come.


These were Sabrin and Mya- very little, happy, and helpful nurses at the mother baby hospital, Red Crescent.






My favorite native friend that I made here was a nurse midwife student at the Red Crescent hospital, Raffa. Michele and I were accidently on the wrong assigned floor for half of our shift and met this darling woman who spoke beautiful english. She glowed with charisma, strength, and joy. She told me that her name meant "happiness"- and that's just what she is. She is 36 with 5 kids and looks like she a single 23 year old. She says that her "secret" is food and laughter!! We loved each other from the beginning and became instant friends. We ate lunch together and I freely asked her questions about life as a muslim woman. She had much to tell and we had SO much in common. I loved finding common ground with her on modesty, chastity, motherhood, prayer, and love and worship of God. She gave me her information and invited me to their home for dinner.





Going to Raffa's home for dinners were some of the ultimate highlights of my whole experience. Being under her hospitality was a great honor- and she was an incredible hostess. I was sure take good notes on all the Palestinian hospitality that I experienced in the Holy Land- they truly love to take care of you!! Meeting Raffa's awesome husband and beautiful children was so exciting- by the end they made Anna, Michele, and I feel like part of the family! Her husband Abrim studied Veterinary medicine in Italy for 11 years and speaks Hebrew, Italian, and Arabic and understands most english and can make good conversation. Her daughters were the cuttest dark eyed and curly haired girls you'll ever meet!




Dana gave us all makeovers. - for free even! :)





This family is SO put together, loving, smart, and fun. I felt very comfortable in their home and was pained to part every time.

No comments: